Tuesday, July 28, 2009

blind date

so finally at the age of 38, i went on a blind date .


i had butterflies in my stomach when i made the call and left a message saying "ok, let's meet at 4 pm, my husband will be out and i desperate. i am tall, long brown hair, wearing a (surprise!) white tshirt, and navy skirt. looking forward to meeting you!"

so just before 4:00 i wandered down to the designated meeting spot...and waited. i kept smiling at people thinking " hmm...are you here to meet me? are you the friend i have been looking for?" finally a few minutes later, i heard "you must be noeleen."

i turned around to see a casually dressed parent with a toddler and a three year old.

"hi! you must be cora (ha! for all of you that thought i was meeting man....get your mind outta the gutter!) and this must be "insert kiddies names' here."

we made the intros between the girls and off they ran to play. cora and i spent a few minutes exchanging pleasantries and how it was so nice to finally find time for our girls to get together.

after moving to burlington a year ago, i am still looking for friends for my girls. i honestly look/sound like a crazy, stalker that goes up to people in playcentres and gives away my phone number. i slow down and look at kids walking down my street wondering if they are near the age of my own two kids...meanwhile i never really thought about what it must look like ...black suv with tinted windows that drives REAL slow passing children...while the driver takes a long stare at the lil ones walking past...kinda creepy when you think about it.

growing up i was crazy shy. my folks tried everything to get me to make friends...brownies, tennis, irish dancing...even bowling (cause apprently bowling allies are "the" place to meet people). but, i remained a very shy and awkward person up until late. now, i will talk to ANYONE if they have anything about them that looks remotely pink and "i know a four year old".

now don't get me wrong, devin has friends, however most of them are boys....boys who can tolerate princess etc for a very short amount of time if any at all. but lil miss d needs a bff that lives in ontario ....or at least canada ( see Spilling the Beans ) that enjoys the beauty of pretty things...not just star wars and batman.

so, cora and i hung out for a bit and the girls seemed to hit it off. she seemed like a parent that had the same "issues" i had...making me feel a little better for the time being. we laughed at our common thread (my sister in law met her at her place of business) and the things parents do for our kids.

when we left the park we said we would be in touch, "i'll call you" s were exchanged but leaving me with the unneeded stress of "will she call? or should i call her?" i think i actually got a little worried about the three day rule and if it acually applied to grown up-same sex friends.

luckily, birthday parties were in the future plans and invitations were exchanged. i was very excited to tell devin that she was invited to a princess party hosted by "insert new friend's name here" but was a little worried when she kept asking "who???" when i said the invitee's name. hmmm... i take it i am far more concerned about the situation than she.

so what have i learned outta all this??? that clearly i am a mother who worries far too much about her offspring making friends and that i gotta learn to relax when it comes to these little speed bumps in the road of life... all that and that there is surely $$$$ to be made in a lavalife website dedicated to "friendships for toddlers"....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
Burlington, Canada
Description huh? Hmm...where to begin, what do I start with....? Ok, the basics...37 years old, married to my one love, have two incredible girls, a teacher by trade although unable to work fulltime in that field so I sub here and there and help my sister-in-law with her business. Recently returned back to the GTA after living in Bermuda for 10 years. Being close to family is great but I do miss the seaside. Interests....? I love making things, biking, music, playing outside...however I find time is what I am short of these days. Interests I wish I had...cooking incredible meals using more than 4 ingredients, exercise(apparently all that crap about burning calories while vacuuming and folding laundry doesn't count if you eat food!!)reading (grown up) books (I manage about 4 pages of my own novel a night thus my library overdue charges are quite large!). Things I like about me...my need for things to be in the right place, Things I am not so keen on about me....my need for things to be in the right place, my dislike for the telephone, my slight tendency to be a control nut...freak is sooooo overused.